Sunday, July 4, 2010

Baker Street Café - Breakfast in Westboro

A picture-less post. It is just killing me but I didn't have my camera with me for our Saturday breakfast at Baker Street Café, located in the old Annie's Irish pub at 385 Richmond Road, across from Mountain Equipment Co-op. They have been part of the Westboro scene now for about 3 years and the steady stream of customers would suggest they have found their sweet spot.

Friends, coming to Westboro to shop, invited us out for a quick breakfast together before they hit the stores. We arrived at 10:00 am on the July long weekend and were seated promptly. Although still a good crowd, I am guessing that everyone was at the cottage because usually this place is flowing over at this time on a Saturday.

We received our large carafe of coffee to the table and sipped away at our own pace. What a nice touch. A great concept for keeping the flow of coffee as close as possible to an intravenous drip.

Our friends were treating and insisted that we have one on of their gigantic cinnamon buns as an appetizer split 4 ways. Just the right size taste for me as it is pure decadence and my doctor would surely frown upon having the whole enchilada.

I had the 2 poached eggs with a HUGE fruit plate, a side of vanilla yogurt and 2 slices of rye toast. The fruit plate was the stand out and was chocker block full of bananas, strawberries, pineapple, melon, cantaloupe, and on and on. I am sure I am missing something. So fresh and well presented. I struggled to get to the south side of my bowl but it was worth it.

The other three went for the breakfast special of 2 eggs , choice of protein, a good portion of fruit as well as homemade home fries and they also picked rye toast. Everything was prepared to their liking and agreed was very filling.

The decor has changed a bit since we were last there. It seems brighter, so I am guessing a change of paint as it is lighter with white and a soft lemon lime green. Also the old dark green tiled tables are now covered in a black and white gingham table cloth and the accent wood is painted out in a charcoal colour. And although I do still sense the old building texture, I like this more sunny, airy feeling.

For us, the service was timely, attentive and very friendly.

Baker Street Caf
é has always felt reliable and substantial, so if you need that kind of breakfast that is a step up from the all night diner outing, I think you will enjoy stopping in to this 'oh so homemade goodness'. We were in and out in an hour.

Baker Street Caf
é
385 Richmond Road
613.729.8807

Baker Street Cafe on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...