As I sit outside on this brisk, cool day dashing through the pages of the Autumn issue of the latest LCBO Food & Drink magazine, I have to agree with Jody Dunn in her Editor's Notes, "Comfort food starts to beckon...".
This particular issue is stuffed full of comfort food. But it does hang on, like we are doing, to summer day menus too. After all, the markets are probably at their prime, overflowing with baskets of colourful produce.
Lucy Waverman's Market Menu plays on the idea of making your meal based on what your trip to the market presents. I myself compete 'black box' style every other Thursday when my CSA basket arrives. It can be daunting but the outcome is worth it. You are constantly eating what is best of season. Consider the challenge for yourself.
Thanks to James Chatto for showcasing 4 power women in the Ontario wine industry in Keepers of The Vine. This summer, we had the opportunity to check out Caroline Granger's place of work, The Grange of Prince Edward Vineyards & Estate Winery, Prince Edward County. We are definitely fond of her 'bubbles'. The sparkling rosé was featured at the Cooks & Curds Cheese Gala at the 1st Great Canadian Cheese Festival in Picton in June.
My page markers this issue are eclectic:
- Pumpkin 'Ravioli' Tossed with Bacon & Parsley (From Pumpkin Made Easy by Heather Trim)
- Deep Fried Olives (From Olive Cuisine by Lucy Waverman)
- Tomato & Fresh Cheese Salad with Basil & Olive Salsa Verde (From Market Menu by Lucy Waverman) **
- Southern -Style Pulled Pork Pies with Buttermilk Biscuits (From Savoury Pies by Julia Aitken)
- Toasted Almond & Quinoa Pilaf and Cashew Chicken Curry (From Nutty Delights by Nicole Young)
- Pan-Roasted Ontario Pickerel (From Inn Style by Anita Draycott & Monda Rosenberg)
- Sesame Ginger Meatball Soup and Individual Caramel Fondues with Ladyfingers and Fruit (From Soup & Sweaters by Jennifer MacKenzie)
** Those beautiful tomatoes featured in the Tomato & Fresh Cheese Salad with Basil & Olive Salsa Verde on page 104 come from Vicki's Veggies Farm, located in Prince Edward County. I can vouch for their fabulous taste. This summer we grew one of her plants. Yellow Perfection. We are rolling in beautiful, flavour-packed sunny yellow tomatoes. We used some of our early ripeners in an heirloom salad that was a true kaleidoscope of colours. Vicki's Veggies Farm sells their produce at the farm but also at farmers' markets in Toronto.
In Inspired Ideas by Brenda Morrison, two things caught my eye:
- The Savoury Bouquet showcases the talents of Michael Pellegrino, florist designer and co-owner of Teatro Verde in Toronto. They are beautiful organic centerpieces that are functional as well as good looking.
- Flavours & Flair shares the good news that Montreal's Olive & Olives in now in Riverdale in Toronto. We picked up some of the Manzanilla Olives Stuffed with Lemon on a recent trip to Montreal's Jean-Talon Market.
Plan ahead: The Holiday issue hits the stores 9 weeks from today on Wednesday, November 9th.