Saturday, September 17, 2011

The Confession of My Coffee Bar Affair at Blumen Studio



Have you ever been to Blumen Studio?

I have passed by it many times, driving south on Parkdale from Wellington, since it opened in March. It has a 'come hither' beckoning with it's sophisticated curbside styling of containers and plants. The modern minimalist feel has been calling me in.

Blumen (German for 'flower') is first and foremost a contemporary flower shop with European flair. If you need it to be, it can also double as your corner store for eggs, Lactantia cream, Cochrane's Dairy milk and Stirling Creamery butter. They have a few magazines and newspapers for the picking too. There is room to sit and relax cupping a coffee or tea, matched with a decent selection of fresh baked goods.

When I go out for a hit of caffeine, my coffeehouse of choice is Bridgehead. Any one of the twelve locations will do. I thought we had a rock solid relationship. But on this day I fell to the temptation of Blumen Studio's café crema ($2.83 with tax). One shot espresso and one shot microfoamed 10% cream.

Kat planned to serve it in a hip-style tumbler but I asked for the well-known #3 size Könitz Coffee Bar cup. Wow! With much restraint and discretion, I just closed my eyes and kept all the wee noises to myself.

I know I have been far too flirtatious with my coffee style status. My collection of 'in a relationship' partners has flipped from cappuccinos to lattes to most recently, flat whites. But as of today, my newest 'forever coffee true love' is for sure the café crema.

If you are taking in the Taste of Wellington West this weekend, consider stepping off the beaten path to see what Kat Kosk and Nathan Turner have to offer in their menagerie of wonderful things.

My favourite Ottawa flower shop is Tivoli Florist on Richmond Road. Now I wonder. Will I end up cheating on them too?



Blumen Studio
465 Parkdale Ave.
613-680-8400
website: www.blumenstudio.ca

Tues to Thurs: 8 am - 6 pm
Fri: 8 am - 8 pm
Sat: 9 am - 7 pm
Sun 10 am - 4 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...