Happy Canada Day long weekend. The Summer issue of the LCBO Food & Drink magazine came out on Wednesday and its timing couldn't be more perfect. It is exploding with food inspiration for our multi-day celebrations.
The cover photo gives no hint of the constant splash of big colour inside - pink, purple, orange and green. So much to get your juices flowing.
Did this happen to you too? I bet it did. The first delight that jumped out at me was the Ale-Braised Cheese Dip with Caramelized Onions & Maple Bacon in the feature, A Splash of Beer. Truth. I was feeling a bit of the hometown pride to see the recipe showcasing our local Beau's LUG•TREAD Lagered Ale. Who crafted this creation? Why, Ruth Gangbar, super talented food stylist, whose work is regularly found between the pages of Food & Drink and is now also heading up food styling workshops in Prince Edward County. Read more at Food•ographyPEC.
I snuggled on the couch Wednesday evening to soak up every word of Robert Hercz's essay Popsicle. I had no idea that the world's most famous ice pop was invented in 1905. It has had a tumultuous history over the past 108 years. Definitely read it. If you were ever a kid, you will re-live at least one memory. Me? Sharing a lime-flavoured two-stick Twin Popsicle with my as-far-back-as-kindergarten friend at the local Becker's.
This issue is extra meaty. Included in your cellophane is the Wine Country Ontario Travel Guide 2013. It includes a very handy Official Map of Ontario's Wine Route. We used it extensively when we traveled to Niagara-on-the-Lake last week. A great planning tool. Put it in your car right away.
The number of turned down corners this time around means my issue has almost doubled in size but here are a few of the recipes that are being tagged as 'Gotta Make':
- Ale-Braised Cheese Dip with Caramelized Onions & Maple Bacon (From A Splash of Beer by Ruth Gangbar)
- Watermelon Gazpacho (From What's Fresh For Dinner by Lucy Waverman)
- Grilled Steak, Buffalo Mozzarella & Tomato Tartine and Thai Mussels ( Both from 30-Minute Marvels by Heather Trim)
- Strawberry & Pineapple Curd Bombolini and Buttermilk Jelly With Wine-Stewed Strawberries (Both from Strawberry Sophistication by Christopher St. Onge)
- Baba Ghanouj and Baklava Tarts with Walnuts & Pistachios (Both from Dinner on Location by Marilyn Bentz-Crowley)
- Canuck Mojito (From Global Mojitos by Michelle P.E. Hunt & Laura Panter)
- Queso-Stuffed Jalapeño Poppers (From Peppery Pleasures by Victoria Walsh)
- Spinach & Feta Galette (From Alternative Grill by Jennifer MacKenzie)
Plan ahead: The Autumn issue hits the stores in 10 weeks on Wednesday, September 4th.