I am feasting on the Early Summer issue of LCBO's Food & Drink magazine just released last Wednesday. James Tse's eye-catching cover shot of Victoria Walsh's lamb chops, asparagus and tzatziki gives you a hint that this issue is chocked full of straight forward and flavour packed dishes.
Everybody must be talking about Christopher St. Onge's stunning Lemon Poppyseed Chiffon Cake with Candied Citrus and Ricotta Filling in Birthday Confections. Birthdays, yes, but as the article suggests, these creations say 'celebration', whether a graduation, anniversary, wedding or baby shower. Rolled fondant is very popular and the polka dot cake is for those wanting a show.
Cocktails are big, big, big this year so don't miss the tutorial by James Chatto, A Guide To Garnishing. At a minimum, at least learn how to do the twist! I for one, love it when my Caesar comes with a mini salad. So if you are serving me, bring on the pickled green bean, pickled garlic scape, celery and bacon.
I try to resist being drawn in by Brenda Morrison's Must Haves. This time she was very tricky. First the Pin Table designed by Scandinavian designer, Andreas Engesvik. It comes in white, black, yellow, neo red and neo green. I couldn't find it at Bergo Designs but I did see them on Amazon. Then there are the Two's Company String Lights. I wondered if I could hang them from my fence. Swinging from the trees could be risky business with an open flame and a bit of breeze.
Other torn pages from this issue:
- Sherry-Glazed Mushroom Tart with Peppery Salad (From A Splash of Sherry by Jennifer Crinion)
- Radish & Roasted Beet Salad and Strawberry Basil Balsamic Jam (From Garden Delights by Jennifer MacKenzie)
- Chipotle Crab on Croissant (From Lunch on the Patio by Heather Trim)
- Grilled Lemon-Lime-Ade and Barbecue-Poached Rhubarb Topping (From The May 24 Cookout by Victoria Walsh)
- Grilled Flank Steak with Roasted Tomato Pesto (From Tasting Party At Home by Lucy Waverman and Tonia Wilson-Vuksanovic)
- Chilled Strawberries with Hot-Lime White-Chocolate Sauce (From What's Fresh For Dinner by Lucy Waverman)
Plan ahead: The Summer issue hits the stores in a little over 7 weeks on Wednesday, June 26th.