As the snow flurries danced Fantasia-style this afternoon, I was more than ready to find warmth between the pages of the latest LCBO Food & Drink magazine - their Spring issue. It actually came out March 6, but me with my globetrotting life missed being in the province that day. Home a week later, I went right from the airport to the liquor store and came up empty-handed. Not surprised, really. They go like hotcakes.
My game plan was to raid an issue from any old friend's powder room. That's your trick too when you miss one, isn't it? But as good fortune would have it, Easter Bunnies galore had magazines to offer me the last few days. I accepted only one.
How sweet to see Ruth Gangbar as Kat Tancock's Trendspotting highlight on page 32. Ruth Gangbar, well-known food stylist, is branching out with her new endeavour FoodographyPEC - workshops being presented in The County for those wanting to learn learn about food styling and food photography. Ruth's team has conducted two workshops so far and the third is planned for mid-July.
Watching Ruth work, you see how intuitively she approaches the set, mixing textures, colour and light. She pushes for authentic. No mashed potatoes subbing in for ice cream. It has to be the real deal. She uses extra tricks though to keep the food looking fresh and sizzling. The magic tools in her massive traveling kit are eclectic. I'm sure airport security would have a fit if she ever took that bag as carry-on. Congrats Ruth and all the best with FoodographyPEC!
You should see how deep the snow is still on my front lawn. I am having a bit of a hard time imagining morels, spring onions and rhubarb springing from the ground before the next Food & Drink issue crosses my threshold. But a girl can dream, can't she?
My Spring-y tastes:
- Cantonese Lemon Chicken (From Perfect Pairings by Heather Trim and James Chatto)
- Goat Cheese, Garlic & Morel Quiche and Warm Morel, Leek & New Potato Salad and Crab & Chorizo-Stuffed Morels With Garlic Butter (From Morels by Christopher St. Onge)
- Piri Piri Crab Cakes with Lime Mayonnaise (From Riesling Rising by Tonia Wilson-Vuksanovic and Michael Fagan)
- Tortello alla Trattoria Monti (From Roman Holiday by Lucy Waverman)
- Buttermilk Pancakes with Salted Maple Cream (From Morning Glories by Jennifer MacKenzie)
- Shrimp Dumplings in Herbed Broth and Yellow Pepper Minestrone with White Beans & Asparagus and Spring Onion Soup with Blue Cheese Toasts (From Soups For Spring by Tonia Wilson-Vuksanovic)
- Chilorio Taco (From Lucy's California Restaurant Tour by Lucy Waverman)
- Lobster-filled Arepas (From Top 5 To Taste by Julia Aitken)
Plan ahead: The Early Summer issue hits the stores in four weeks and two days on Wednesday, May 1st.