Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Merivale Fish Market & Seafood Grill



Have you ever wondered about that ubiquitous phenomenon of craving Fish and Chips? It is a regular occurrence on Twitter to see 'I'm craving fish and chips. Where is the best place to go in Ottawa?'. And the usual cast of characters shout out their favourites and best choices, all over again. I haven't noticed if these cravings follow the lunar cycle. But it is clear to me that just about everybody at some point falls under the spell.

Last night, I was plagued with errand running, and I was also in for solo dining. As I made my way down Merivale Road for yet another set of 'to-dos', my dinner bell chimed 'I'm craving fish and chips. Where is the best place to go in Ottawa?'.

I have been to the Merivale Fish Market & Seafood Grill before and although my MIL tends to feed her craving at Lapointe's with all of us in tow, I decided that proximity was everything. Any memory I had from a prior visit to the Seafood Grill, seemed in no way negative.

I enjoyed a bright spot by the front window and noticed that the place was quite full for a Tuesday evening. It looks like the place seats 40+ happy clients. The Seafood Grill is attached to the Merivale Fish Market, where you can find a wide selection of fish and seafood, if all you want to do is shop for making dinner at home.

My order is routine. Halibut fish and chips, every time. No drink. Just a glass of water. Each dinner is served with two pieces of fish, fresh cut fries, homemade coleslaw, tarter sauce and lemon. All this for $14.95. All portions were generous and I wasn't able to finish.

What I remembered about the place that proved consistent to this visit as well, is that the fish was done to perfection. Nice crisp batter, not too thick and most importantly not greasy. The hand cut fries are great. I like that the coleslaw is homemade. I like mine with more kick though.

The food came quite promptly and it seemed to be the same for my neighbouring tables. None of whom were partaking in my predictably routine choice. And interestingly, many of my neighbouring tables acted like regulars. Chummy with all the staff, even other patrons. The fact that others ventured beyond fish and chips leads me to believe that it is worth checking out the menu a little bit further. But how do you do that when what brings you there in the first place is that 'every once in a while, hard to escape' craving for fish and chips.

Merivale Fish Market & Seafood Grill
1480 Merivale Road
Nepean, Ontario
613.723.2476
website: www.merivalefish.com

Seafood Grill on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. Food there is just plain jummy !
    No better place to eat seafood for sure.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...